A decryption by DEPUR Experiences. On the occasion of Miami Beach’s Art Basel, 2022 edition, which took place from December 1 to 3, the contemporary art gallery Superblue, in partnership with the starred chef Chintan Pandya, imagined an experience featuring the five senses.
The concept: Offer visitors the opportunity to taste a starred menu mixing the real with the virtual.
The discovery of the different appetizers is made, equipped with a virtual reality helmet which guides the tasting.
Consumers are invited to reflect, via animations and audio storytelling, on the perception and conceptualization of the flavors and textures they discover.
The meal is fully dramatized and each dish served is presented accompanied by virtual scenes, all to a soundtrack by electronic music composer Martux M. The experience, in groups of sixteen people, takes place in a futuristic dining room and lasts between 30 and 60 minutes.
The project was launched in 2017, and has already been presented in South Korea, China and New York. Beyond the artistic scope, the objective is, for the creator of “Aerobanquets RMX”, Mattia Casalegno, to offer a whole new way of eating. The artist draws his inspiration from the futuristic cookbook, published in 1932, The (in)famous Italian book of surreal recipes and fantastical dinners.
If the menu remains confidential, in the old editions of the project, one could, for example, taste a “Falooda on Ice”, composed of vermicelli, basil seeds and ice cream or even a “roasted hope mousse” which is supposed to evoke the feeling of biting the lips.
- Here, the notion of Eatertainment and the integration of leisure into F&B is pushed to its extreme with an immersive and multi-sensory experience that combines cuisine, art and technology in a totally innovative way.
- The F&B conquers new grounds by integrating the world of art, proof of its strong cultural weight. Food is one of the foundations of our societies.
- Since the Covid crisis, digital technology is gradually entering the restaurant. It offers an alternative to the physical experience and allows the customer to alternate between real and virtual, with for example, online menus or ordering and payment via an app.
- Here, it is a new use of new technologies that is made. They are integrated into the very moment of the tasting. The real and the virtual associated are thought to work in synergy to create an augmented experience.
- The artist also wanted to use this medium to represent what is hidden on our plates and, thereby, raise awareness of the environmental issues facing the food industry.
- This experience serves as a field for studies on the impact of light and sound on our perception of flavors. Elements outside the plate that are not to be overlooked when conceptualizing an F&B place.
We wish to thank the author of this write-up for this outstanding content
How does virtual reality unleash creativity in the F&B sector?
Find here our social media profiles and other pages related to it.https://yaroos.com/related-pages/