How to create your mobile app icon

If we had to define only one rule to create an icon, it would be this one: “Keep it clean and simple”. The first thing a user will see on your App Store page is your app icon.

It’s a fact statistics show that users search for 70% of mobile applications in the App Store and Google Play. For the remaining 30% of apps, users discover them through ad campaigns, reviews, newsletters, and social media posts. social networks. An attractive icon that will grab attention and encourage a user to learn more about your products is sure to be a plus. 21% of millennials in 2017 choose to delete a mobile app if they don’t like the way its icon looks on their screen. That’s why your icon should not only be functional, but also aesthetically pleasing. We’re about to let you in on the secrets of smart design.

According to Money transfer, white is the most common color used in the icons of major shopping apps in February 2022. The most popular shopping app icons used white for about 43% of their design. Black was the color most common for gaming applications, while red was popular for restaurant applications.


The more detail your icon contains, the more difficult it will be for users to perceive and recognize it correctly. On top of that, a visually overloaded design becomes a headache when it comes to scaling. Your icon should be easily recognizable in different sizes and on different mediums, whether it’s an app store, a menu of smart phone or from a control panel. Use symbolic and minimalist images, Make a list of your favorite apps and examine their icons. Learning from successful brands is always a good idea, Snapchat, Instagram, AppStore, Linkedin, Gmail, Coinbase, OneDrive, Flikr…


For many users, color can be the determining factor in deciding whether or not to use your application, which is not very rational! Avoid using more than 2-3 shades. A study indicates that the #1 color among major brands (Google Calendar, Safari, Twitter, LinkedIn) is blue. It is followed by red and white. Red is commonly used by food and beverage companies. But keep in mind that your selected shades should be associated with your business and match your brand identity. Very important, make sure your icon looks good on different backgrounds (black, white and colored).


For your app icon, borrow colors, textures, shapes, etc. of your company. Does your app have a gradient, unusual geometry or retro vibes? Try working these elements into your icon! If you have multiple apps, it would be nice if their icons shared the same visual style. This is exactly what Adobe has done with its products (Photoshop Sketch, Illustrator Draw, Lightroom, Skan, and others). By looking at your icon, a user should instantly identify (or at least guess) what your app is doing.

Images Vs Text

When it comes to designing a small icon, long words and photos are definitely off limits. These elements can make the perception of the icon more difficult for the public. Users perceive images 60,000 times faster than text. The takeaway is clear: for greater impact, be sure to use a visual symbol rather than a word. Make a list of associations that go with your product. It will be easier for you to turn words into pictures. Using the first letter of your business name may also be a good idea.


Your icon will compete with thousands of other images for the user’s attention. That’s why it’s so important to create an original piece that will resonate with your audience and make them want to check out your app. If you have time listen to your target audience. Keep a balance between the need to follow trends and the need to stay true to your visual identity.

We wish to give thanks to the writer of this post for this remarkable content

How to create your mobile app icon

Take a look at our social media accounts along with other pages related to them