Like every year a little before the summer, Apple holds its WWDC, or Worldwide Developers Conference. This is an event centered on the work of developers and highlighting the various headed software. In particular, guests can follow workshops led by Apple engineers, tutorials, round tables, participate in contests or even take part in work sessions on specific topics. The whole thing usually lasts 5 days.
And traditionally, WWDC starts with a keynote during which the major changes of the next versions of Apple OS are generally presented: iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, but also macOS and watchOS. It also happens that the Californian company takes the opportunity to reveal material novelties. But it’s not systematic.
This year, the special WWDC Apple Event took place on Monday, June 6. And in this context, here is what the Cupertino company presented.
- To watch the video conference:
Tim Cook opened the keynote by talking about Apple’s efforts to highlight the work of developers around the world. After a few minutes of speech, the relay is given to Craig Federighi. The latter started the flood of announcements.
Here are the major new features of iOS 16 below.
New locked screen
- Personalization: user can edit background, add photo, change text style. Presets are offered to save time, but everyone can edit many parameters as they wish
- Widgets: possibility to add widgets on the locked screen, calendar for example, weather, activity, etc.
- Photo Shuffle: photos in their library automatically change throughout the day
- Notifications: they now arrive at the bottom of the screen, in the form of a folding scroll
- Live Activities: new feature allowing you to follow the activity of an app from the locked screen, score of a match for example, playback control of a streaming app, sports activity…
- Focus Modes: its lock screen settings can be dependent on each focus mode
- Editing and cancellation: possibilities to edit a message already sent or to cancel its sending
- Unread conversation: new possibility to change a conversation already read to unread
- Identity papers : new possibilities to present only certain information of his identity papers (in the areas where the identity papers can be scanned in the Wallet app, Cards in French)
- Keys: facilitating key sharing
- Apple Pay: Tap to pay arrives on iOS, in the United States first, allowing you to receive a payment simply with your iPhone
- Apple Pay Later: wherever Apple Pay is available, Apple Pay allows you to pay in 4 installments free of charge (in 6 weeks)
- Maps: the new cards arrive in France and Switzerland at the end of the year
- Transit : addition of public transport with prices and the possibility of paying for your transport ticket without leaving Maps
HomeKit and CarPlay
- Matter: announcement of HomeKit compatibility with Matter, the new standard for the connected home. It will then be easier to connect home automation accessories of different brands to each other.
- House : redesign of the application for managing its HomeKit accessories with the addition of new categories of accessories, visual changes for the thumbnails, etc.
- CarPlay: new widget system
- New voice dictation experience: easier switching between voice and writing to enter text, such as editing selected text and replacing it by voice and adding emojis by voice
- SharePlay: new SharePlay possibilities in FaceTime, but also in Messages now
- Live Text: rolling out the feature to videos
- Translate : new Translate view in Camera
- Photo editing: possibility of cutting an object from an image and pasting it into another application, with a simple touch of the finger!
- New filter functionality for focus modes: it is possible to display only certain tabs in Safari, or even certain mails in the Mail app, in certain concentration modes
- Family Sharing: improved account creation for children, with easier restriction settings. Also improved setting up a new device for a child in the family. Also, you can manage a child’s device screen time from Messages
- Library of shared photographs: share some photos from your media library and some new photos in a shared album, automatically updated among all members of the sharing circle, via iCloud
- Security controle : new settings to monitor, but above all to stop the sharing of some of its information. In particular, you can see what data is shared with which applications, but also which contacts
- Quick Notes: iPadOS 15’s new quick note-taking system comes to iPhone with iOS 16
- Fitness app on iOS: finally, without an Apple Watch (and without a third-party app), you can fill your activity circles simply with the iPhone
- Medications : monitoring of medication intake, see details in the paragraph watchOS 9
- Improved spotlight: now also available at the bottom of the iPhone screen
- Email: improved search
- Collaboration : see iPadOS 16
- Freeform: new Apple application, allowing to create tables of contents, texts, images, photos, drawings
- Improved Game Center: tracking new information from friends
- Collaboration : facilitation of document sharing and collaborative work, on Pages and in other native Apple applications, in particular on Safari, Notes or Keynote. The work of several collaborators can easily be followed live
- Weather report : finally, the iPad has its native Weather app… Better late than never. All that’s missing is the Calculator app to paste iOS
- Internship Manager: see macOS Ventura
watch OS 9
- 4 new dials: improved astronomical dial, new Lunar calendar dial, new Playtime dial and new Metropolitan dial
- New Complications
- New visuals: for Siri, for notifications, but also for the app dock
- Activities : 3 new information available for running activity, vertical oscillation, stride length and ground contact
- Exercises: extensive personalization of exercises to set up sessions intended to improve speed or distance
- Sleep : detection of sleep stages, with analysis of the time spent in each of the stages
- Health : improved tracking of heart health for users with a history of atrial fibrillation
- Medications : watchOS 9 makes it easy to keep track of your regular medication intake, using notifications and a history. Also works for vitamins and supplements. Monitoring goes so far as to analyze the drugs taken to warn the user in the event of a risky association. Finally, the follow-up can be shared with a loved one. This medication tracking feature is also available on iPhone, without a watch
macOS: make way for “Ventura”
- Internship Manager: new window management mode. Allows you to focus on a single app by pushing windows of other apps to the side
- Improved spotlight: Quicklook is available from Spotlight. Spotlight can also search in Live Text in images, or do web searches with rich results, or launch actions (a countdown for example)
- Email: improved search
- Safari: groups of tabs shared via iCloud
- Security : introduction of the Passkeys function which makes it possible to do without passwords, but which nevertheless requires an iPhone to identify itself on a site or a service
- Video game : improved graphics and loading times in video games, thanks to the new generation of Metal, Metal 3
- Continuity: new feature allowing you to use the iPhone as a webcam with your Mac (no need to work on the quality of the Studio Display webcam…)
- Collaboration : see iPadOS 16
- New Freeform app: see iOS 16
The new OS are available in beta developers in the coming days. They will appear in their final version for the general public in the fall.
New Apple silicon M2 chip
The characteristics of the M2
- First second-generation Apple silicon chip, engraved in 5 nm
- Up to 24 GB of unified RAM
- 8-core CPU, 4 high-performance cores, 4 high-efficiency cores
- 10-core GPU (2 more than the M1): 25% more performance than the M1 for the same power consumption
- New generations of the Neural Engine, Secure Encline and Media Engine
New MacBook Air with M2 chip
Highlights of the MacBook Air M2
- Processor : new Apple silicon M2 chip
- Design: 20% less volume than the previous generation MacBook Air, 11.3 mm thin, presence of a notch
- Connectors: 2 Thunderbolt ports, 1 Jack port and a MagSafe connector for charging
- Screen : 13.6 inches diagonally (compared to 13.3 for the previous generation), and 25% brighter than the previous generation
- Improved front camera
- Audio: 3 microphones for audio capture and 4-speaker reproduction system. Spatial Audio is also supported
- Finishes: Silver, Space Gray, Midnight, and Starlight
- Presence of a Touch ID sensor
- Autonomy announced: 18 hours of video player
- Refill: supports 67W fast charging, with 50% recharge in 30 minutes
Be careful, the MacBook Air M1 remains in range, it drops in price however and now costs $999 (price in euros to come).
Update: The price of the MacBook Air M1 has increased with the release of the M2! It used to cost €1,129, now it is displayed at €1,199…
MacBook Air M2 price and availability
- Price : from 1499 €
- Availablity : from July
New MacBook Pro 13″ with M2 chip
The striking features of the MacBook Pro 13″ M2
All the advantages of the MacBook Air M2 with a few specificities, in particular a battery life of up to 20 hours and the presence of the Touch Bar (but no design change with notch).
MacBook Pro 13″ M2 price and availability
- Price : from 1599 €
- Availablity : from July
And that’s it for today’s announcements!
Finally, we launched a survey to collect your first impressions about this keynote. You can answer it below.
Don’t hesitate to share your impressions in the comments!
Apple MacBook Air Retina 128 GB
We would love to thank the writer of this article for this incredible content
WWDC 2022 Keynote Summary: iOS 16, macOS Ventura, Apple silicon M2 and other new features
Discover our social media profiles , as well as the other related pageshttps://yaroos.com/related-pages/