Navigation apps have become an essential tool for smartphone users. Now, whether you want to check directions for unfamiliar areas, live traffic updates, public transport timetables, local business information, or even more, you can do these things right on your smartphone. There is a wide range of navigation apps available for iPhone users. iPhones come with Apple Maps as the default navigation app, but you can install a third-party alternative on your iPhone.
Google Maps is one of the most popular and accurate navigation apps that can be used on iPhone. But can you make Google Maps the default navigation app on your iPhone? Let’s find out here.
Can I make Google Maps the default navigation app on iPhone?
Apple does not officially allow Google Maps to be set as the default navigation app on iPhone, but there is a workaround through which you can use Google Maps features. You may have noticed that all navigation or shopping links open in Apple Maps, but the information on Apple Maps is not as up to date as on Google Maps.
Whether you want to check the most recent reviews of a nearby store or simply switch to the Google Maps app, you’ve come to the right place. Here’s how to set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhone.
How to Make Google Maps Default on iPhone
First, make sure you have Google Maps app installed on your iPhone, if installed then make sure to update it to the newest version available, press here to check for updates.
If you want to open any links related to navigation, businesses, stores or directions on Google Maps, you need to install a few Google apps on your iPhone. The list of Google Apps includes the Google search app, Google Chrome web browser, and gmail. Yes, these three apps are required to redirect all navigation links to Google Maps.
Installing these apps on iPhone is not enough, you need to set these apps as default apps to redirect navigation links to Google Maps. Whether you have iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone 11, iPhone 12, iPhone 13, iPhone 14 or any other model. You can follow the steps mentioned below on your iPhone running iOS 16 or later.
Here is how you can change the default apps on your iPhone.
How to Set Gmail as Default Mail App on iPhone
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on Gmail.
- Select the default messaging app.
- Now tap on Gmail to set it as your default mail app.
How to Configure Gmail to Open Navigation Links in Google Maps
- Open the Gmail app on your iPhone. You need to sign in with your Google account in the app.
- Once done, tap on the three lines available in the upper left corner.
- Now select Settings and then tap Default apps.
- Disable the toggle to Ask me which app to use each time for Google Chrome.
- Now select Google Maps under Navigation from your location and Navigation between locations.
- Now tap done.
How to Set Google Maps as Default Maps in Google Search App
- Launch the Google app on your iPhone and sign in to the app.
- Now tap on your profile picture in the top right corner
- Open the Settings menu.
- Select Settings and tap General.
- Now tap on the Default Apps option and select the Google Maps app.
How to Set Google Chrome as Default Browser on iPhone
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Scroll down, tap on Google Chrome.
- Select the default browser application.
- Now select Google Chrome as your default browser.
Now whenever you open a navigation or business link from Google Chrome or Gmail, it will open in Google Maps instead of Apple Maps.
If you travel a lot and usually search for different places, you can switch your default browser to Google Chrome. Yes, you can add the Chrome app to your home screen, plus you can even place it inside the dock.
This is one of the easiest ways to set Google Maps as default on iPhone. If you still have any questions in mind, leave them in the comment box.
Want to learn more about iOS 16? Here is a new video about the new Apple operating system for the iPhone.
We would like to thank the author of this short article for this amazing web content
How to Make Google Maps the Default Navigation App on iPhone
You can find our social media profiles as well as other pages related to it.https://yaroos.com/related-pages/