iOS 16.2 and its big brother for iPad are not (only) maintenance updates. Many novelties are thus appearing, and there is something for everyone. Freeform and Apple Music Sing are the two most visible new features. The collaborative whiteboard was announced during WWDC, and it is finally available as a dedicated application. It’s pretty effective, by the way!
The application allows you to work together on a project, around a whiteboard where you can drop text, doodle, stick post-its, integrate images and links… It is also available on macOS 13.1.
Overview of Freeform, Apple’s collaborative whiteboard
Unlike Freeform, Apple Music Sing was totally unexpected and it’s the good surprise of the end of the year. This “karaoke mode” for Apple Music isolates the voice of the singer or singer to be able to pose his own. The function – performed locally on the device – is very fun and it is promised to be a big success during end-of-year meetings with family or friends (or enemies).
iOS 16.2: we sing loudly with Apple Music Sing karaoke 🎶🎤
Apple Music Sing: karaoke mode limited to recent iPhones, iPads and Apple TVs (A13 minimum)
How to use Apple Music Sing in AirPlay on an “old” Apple TV
On a much more serious but no less important level, iOS 16.2 ushers in new security features. The most important is the end-to-end encryption of almost all data in iCloud, an option to be activated by the user who will have to keep a verification key with him (not to lose!). Photos and iOS backups will now be encrypted and inaccessible to anyone, including Apple.
iOS 16.2 will be able to end-to-end encrypt photos and backups in iCloud
Craig Federighi: End-to-end encryption of all iCloud will be the responsibility of the user
End-to-end encryption of iCloud backups: defenders of freedom satisfied, the FBI disillusioned
This novelty is available in the United States. The rest of the world, including China, will wait until next year. Also on the security front, AirDrop sharing with everyone is now limited to 10 minutes, whereas there was no time restriction before.
iOS 16.2: Apple limits AirDrop sharing to 10 minutes worldwide, not just in China
iOS 16.2 also lays the groundwork for emergency security updates. Two tests have been carried out in recent weeks, and each time the device had to be restarted – these updates should install without restarting.
Apple tested urgent iOS 16 security updates for the first time
iCloud+ subscribers who have enabled the Private Relay feature can allow individual websites to “see” their IP address. The option, to be activated on a case-by-case basis in the menu
aA (in the search bar), can be useful if you have trouble accessing a website.
Matter is permanently installed in the Home app! The infrastructure necessary to support the common home automation protocol is indeed integrated into the heart of Apple’s application with iOS 16.2. All that remains is to resolve the small compatibility issues between all the manufacturers…
With iOS 16.2, the Home app welcomes a new architecture for Matter
Home automation: Matter barely launched and already it’s complicated
Let’s go back to the visible, and even very visible, novelties, since a setting finally makes it possible to deactivate the display of the background image on the always-on screen of the iPhone 14 Pro.
iOS 16.2: a new option to deactivate the image on the always-on screen of iPhone 14 Pro
Apple has also activated the emergency SOS function on the iPhone 14 in France and in several European countries.
Satellite emergency SOS now available in France on iPhone 14
In the bulk of the nice little things, let’s also note up-to-the-minute forecasts in the Weather app, the new sleep tracking widgets on the locked screen, the improved search in the Messages app, or optimization of treatments for Stable Diffusion. For the iPad in particular, let’s not forget the support for external screens with Stage Manager for compatible tablets (the M1 and M2 models).
iOS 16.2: release notes
Freeform is a new app for working creatively with friends or colleagues on Mac, iPad or iPhone.
- A flexible canvas lets you add files, images, notes and more.
- Drawing tools allow you to draw with your finger anywhere on the canvas.
Apple Music Song
- A new way to sing along to millions of songs in Apple Music.
- You can adjust the vocal volume to sing duet with the original artist, solo or only on certain parts.
- Lyrics are now displayed in rhythm to make it even easier for you to follow the music.
Satellite Emergency SOS
- Allows users to contact emergency services when there is no cellular or Wi-Fi coverage on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro.
- New settings allow you to hide the wallpaper or notifications when the “Always on Screen” display option is enabled on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
- The Sleep widget allows you to view your latest sleep data.
- The Treatments widget allows you to see your reminders and quickly access your program.
- SharePlay support in Game Center for multiplayer games so you can play with your callers during a FaceTime call.
- The Activity widget lets you see the games your friends are playing and their achievements, right from your home screen.
- Improved reliability and efficiency of communications between your home automation accessories and your Apple devices.
This update also brings the following improvements and fixes:
- Improved search in Messages lets you find photos based on their content, such as a dog, car, person, or text.
- The “Reload and Show IP Address” setting allows iCloud Private Relay users to temporarily disable the service for a specific site in Safari.
- Participant sliders in Notes display indicators that show in real time what other people are editing in a shared note.
- AirDrop automatically reverts to the “Contacts Only” setting after 10 minutes to prevent unwanted requests to receive content.
- Crash detection optimizations on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro.
- Fixes an issue that prevented some notes from syncing with iCloud after editing.
We would love to thank the writer of this post for this amazing web content
All the new features of iOS 16.2 are available: Freeform, Apple Music Sing, security…
You can find our social media profiles as well as other pages related to it.https://yaroos.com/related-pages/